Our client, a global scientific publisher, requires a dynamic individual to join as Associate Director, Journals Marketing. You will take responsibility for the strategy and management of all open access journal marketing for the business. A strong leadership role, the Associate Director deputises for the Marketing & Development Director including representing at C-suite and board level.
You‘ll ensure that the business maintains and builds its position as a leading Open Access journals publisher. This will be delivered through leading and developing a team delivering best in class journals marketing and customer engagement, with marketing driven by insight, personalization and engagement. They drive content acquisition and usage, increasing our reach and creating advocates in our authors, editors and peer reviewers. They ensure clear brand coherence and identity, and maximise optimal co-operation between portfolio teams.
You’ll join the marketing team at an exciting juncture in its transformation to digital excellence and customer centricity, offering an unparalleled opportunity to demonstrate your strategic leadership and change management capability.
- Lead the Journals Marketing team, providing clear vision and strong strategic leadership
- Work with Directors to develop the marketing strategy and portfolio plans, taking a strategic and innovative approach to delivering against business objectives
- Provide clear business partnership and strategic counsel to Publishing Directors and Global Director
- Develop / implement OA and author branding, positioning and messaging plan, balancing the needs of all portfolios and how brands position amongst one another
- Deliver increased revenue through digital marketing excellence
- Ensure support for priority brands
- Provide strategic support for acquisitions, journal bids and retention of journal contracts
- Develop customer retention plans in order to retain and extend the Academic customer base
- Up skill teams to ensure all have the necessary industry and digital marketing skills to meet business objectives
- Develop and implement customer engagement strategy, plans and structure for journals with a clear customer centric approach.
- By being data driven and analytical, connect market trends and insights and deliver rich, relevant ways to engage the research community based on their unique needs; understanding the researcher journey.
- Understand the changes in customer needs and digital advances in marketing and customer engagement, implementing innovative and best in class tools and strategies to reach our customers.
Skills & Experience:
- Excellent leadership and team-building qualities
- A demonstrable track record in leading substantial change management in marketing teams
- Strong influencing skills and an ability to work successfully within a matrix structure to get things done
- Experience in working with C-suite and leadership teams in large global organisations
- Demonstrable business partnership capability, gravitas and credibility
- Journals marketing track record preferred
- Deep understanding of the open research and open access landscape highly desirable
- Knowledge of publishing process and industry preferred
- Excellent marketing and customer engagement skillset and track record
- Track record of innovation and ability to drive change, including demonstrable experience of applying customer journeys, data-driven approaches and digital marketing excellence
- Proven ability to be data driven and analytics informed, with excellent analytical skills
- Strong, proven strategic abilities developing and implementing new strategies, including the ability to adapt as needed in response to a changing market
- A strong ability to successfully operate and respond to a highly competitive and agile market
- Excellent financial skills, ability to forecast, budget and monitor growth