Our client, a leading scientific publisher, requires 4 new Desk Editors to join their Beijing office. We are looking for ambitious individuals with backgrounds in academic research to join a new team supporting the peer review process.
We seek highly motivated candidates who enjoy keeping up to date with the latest in biomedical research, are detail-oriented, have great customer service skills and enjoy working as part a team.
As Desk Editor you will be accountable for efficient peer review administration procedures through online peer review systems, using tools such as PubMed Central to research international experts suitable to act as peer reviewers for cutting edge biomedical research. Reporting to the Senior Desk Editor, the successful candidates will form a new team of Desk Editors.
- Managing the peer review process to agreed speed and quality targets for journals
- Using internal and external databases to research and select appropriate reviewers
- Staying up to date with internal and external guidelines on ethical publication practices
- Corresponding with reviewers regarding deadlines and standard queries
- Conducting data analysis, recognizing process improvement opportunities and making recommendations
- Maintaining accurate records and updating content management systems
- Daily liaison with our internationally-based editorial teams
- Managing external stakeholders’ expectations.
- Providing excellent and empathic customer service.
- Assisting on department projects as required.
Skills & Experience:
- A postgraduate qualification, PhD or equivalent, in biomedical sciences
- Knowledge and understanding of the process of journals peer review process
- An interest and awareness in academic publishing, and an up to date knowledge of market trends
- A strong command of English spelling and grammar
- Knowledge and experience of process-driven workflows
- Experience of working in a customer-facing role
- Ability to be detail-oriented, accurate, and a problem-solver
- Excellent organization skills and confidence in completing multiple tasks to deadlines
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills and a desire to provide to excellent customer service
- The ability to recognize process improvement opportunities
- Good persuasion and influencing skills, showing empathy for others’ viewpoints
- Have flexibility to adjust to change in works plans or assignments
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office software
- Fluent in Standard Chinese/ Mandarin