Our client, a leading academic publisher, requires a Business Development Manager to network and meet with pharmaceutical and medical communication planners and promote the their journals portfolio, with specific emphasis on the facilitation of article submissions from the pharmaceutical and medical communication industry organisations.
- Review clinical trial pipelines and pharmaceutical drug developments and match with relevant journals in your allocated journal portfolio.
- Plan sole or joint (with sales and or editorial colleagues) visits to pharmaceutical publication planners and medical communication organisations, present the journal portfolio.
- To stimulate interest and submission of original research articles, reviews and other content with potential commercial interest
- Identify current industry publication projects and requirements
- Identify key authors and establish working relationships with industry contacts involved in clinical trials and the publication plan
- Instigate sponsored content projects such as supplements, article collections and special issues
- Build the foundation and future of unsolicited original research and commissioned industry funded papers
- Provide feedback/ reports on the industry intelligence
- Liaise with internal commercial sales account managers and internal managing editors to produce and develop special projects and or bespoke projects based on feedback and requirements from pharmaceutical and medcomms clients.
- Utilize and develop industry contact database to increase the level of proactive outreach to industry clients via the use of linked in sales navigator, Clearslide tools and the Lime Tree database
- Provide regular progress reports and updates on activity to your direct manager
- Attendance of commercial sales, STM editorial, society partners or other team meetings as required
- Liaison with marketing as required to develop sales promotional support tools
Skills & Experience:
- Has a degree level qualification in a biomedical subject
- Has previous journals publishing experience in either editorial, sales or a publication-planning role in medical publishing.
- Is familiar with and has a working knowledge of the pharmaceutical and medical communications industries
- Has experience of face to face meetings with senior contacts at Pharma and Medical publication planners
- Has experience of peer review and manuscript decision-making processes
- Is experienced in biomedical research
- Able to multitask with good organisational and prioritisation skills.
- Demonstrates the ability to communicate confidently and effectively and present convincingly.
- Is results orientated framed within a consultative sales approach.
- Able to work independently, while liaising effectively with team members.
- Has strong attention to detail and eye for accuracy
- Demonstrates Initiative and sense of urgency to satisfy customers and solve problems.
- Able to build strong and lasting business relationships.