Our client, a large Higher Education publisher requires a a new Institutional Business Development Manager who will be responsible for market intelligence, sales strategy, process and the HE institutional model for an innovative product portfolio in the US.
With the product team based in the UK, you will be the first team member based in the US to pioneer the sales and business development work for the new portfolio of products. You will lead business development and sales activities for new products aimed to support academic skills and research with big data. You will identify and meet with purchasing decision makers for the HE institution, learn of their needs and work to achieve market fit with the their products. You will also play a key role with the product development team, feeding market intelligence back to base to support the ongoing product development to achieve best product / market fit.
- Building market intelligence to inform sales strategy: Understanding the market and how institutional funding works, identifying target budgets and decision makers, segmenting the market, hypothesis testing different institutional models
- Responsible for closing sales and achieving a sales target
- Market intelligence to inform product development – accurately record, synthesise, interpret and share market intelligence back to the team with an eye to optimising product / market fit and product profitability
- Close collaboration with product teams to make sure that product and sales strategies are aligned
- Developing and evolve strategic institutional sales plan
- Building up sales process and pipeline, working with the CRM to grow our database of contacts and prospects, and developing sales collateral, including email templates, proposals, RFP responses, customer licenses. Developing post sales process to understand what is needed to renew and upsell
- Compelling product demo skills: building a narrative, pitch and demo for digital products and creating compelling content for presentations
- Collaborating with product teams to develop product pricing strategies, customer implementation and support plans
- Work within quarterly goals structure to flex to evolving needs and market understanding
- Strong understanding of sales methodology and needs based selling (essential)
- Experience selling into HE institutions (essential)
- Experience selling software (essential)
- Ability to develop relationships over the phone and in person (essential)
- Strong negotiator and great questioner (essential)
- Independent worker with experience as a self manager, self starter, preferably in a start-up environment
- Strategic thinker who has experience developing strategic sales plans – Excellent team player
- A problem solving approach
- Potential to become a team leader as well as a team player.