Our client, a global publisher, requires a Managing Editor with a minimum of 5 years' experience in journal production. You will be responsible for managing the UK Journals Production Department, including budgeting, staff hiring and management, scheduling, and meeting high quality standards of production.
- Manage the daily activities and performance of the UK Journals Production department, ensuring that schedules and quality standards are met and that costs are controlled.
- Monitor workloads and resources in the department and make recommendations as needed, including which UK journals to be placed with Global Services.
- Prepare the department’s annual staff budget and manage to those budgeted costs throughout the year.
- Work collaboratively with other departments, including Editorial, Commercial Sales, and Manufacturing.
- Contribute to the management of the global Production Department.
- Drive system improvements and process efficiencies.
- Monitor and analyse author and editor feedback to ensure high satisfaction with Production.
- Set standards of professionalism and leadership in interactions with all internal staff.
- Represent and act as ambassador
- Perform daily work with minimal supervision from direct manager.
Skills & Experience:
- A bachelor’s degree.
- At least 5 years of journals production experience with a college or an academic publisher, to include at least two years in a management position.
- Ability to manage and motivate external professional relationships and internal staff.
- Change management skills.
- Ability to effectively manage time to meet deadlines and work professionally under pressure.
- Ability to effectively manage budgeting, and analyse costs.
- Ability to reason and problem solve.
- Effective decision making.
- Experience managing a high-performing team.
- Extensive knowledge of journal production and manufacturing processes.
- Expertise in various software programs, including Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, and Adobe Acrobat, and a basic familiarity with other production-oriented software programs.