Our client, a leading Open Access publisher, requires a new Managing Editor for a high profile portfolio of journals in Life sciences.
The Managing Editor will lead a team of Editors who run a group of high profile journals and will support the Executive Editor in developing the strategy for the portfolio as a whole.
Line management and leadership of a team of Editors.
- Demonstrate strong leadership and management qualities, managing a team of Editors to be successful in their roles, achieving high standards of editorial judgment, author service and editorial board engagement.
- Monitor submissions, publications, turn-around times and author satisfaction, ensuring that targets are met, identifying issues early and proposing and implementing solutions to address any challenges.
- Recruit, train and supervise new members of the team, ensuring that all team members are supported in their roles and have opportunities for professional development.
- Have an overview of the journals within your group, understanding their current performance and development strategies, identifying trends in the relevant fields, and working with the Editors to drive the success of these journals.
- Ensure that strong proactive communication channels are set up with all external editors and board members.
- Develop excellent relationships across the business
Contribute to implementation of the strategy and vision:
- With the editorial team, implement development plans for the group of journals to publish more leading research in their fields and respond to the needs of the community for each journal.
- Foster the ethos of being open, inclusive and trusted.
- Provide input into the strategic goals and work with the Executive Editor to implement the strategy.
- Take responsibility for projects that have an impact across the series in line with the strategy.
- Understand market, competitor and industry trends and provide information for potential new launches and other opportunities.
- Proactively identify and drive ways of improving the performance and/or reputation of the series.
Skills & Experience:
- Experience in publishing within an STM setting.
- PhD in a relevant field of biological or biomedical sciences, or equivalent experience.
- Line management experience.
- Knowledge of editorial processes and peer review.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Customer focus.
- Strong time-management and prioritisation skills.
- Analytical, able to respond to non-routine circumstances and a positive approach to problem solving.
- Ability to manage budgets and prioritise resources.
- Ability to work as part of a team.
- Experience of developing editorial strategic plans.