Our client, a leading Academic Publisher, requires a new Marketing Director for their Beijing office.
Reporting directly to the Managing Director of the China office and being part of the Global Senior Marketing Leadership Team, this role is responsible for the development and delivery of the marketing strategy for the books and journals portfolio across the Chinese market.
The role of Marketing Director will drive change and transformation, as well as designing, implementing and executing a strategy to increase both sales revenue and profitability, alongside building a strong brand footprint in the region.
- Create, own and implement the high-level marketing strategy. Leading a team to achieve market growth in core and new markets – actively contributing towards revenue
- Have the ability to create customer-driven and insightful concepts in touch with customers’ needs taking a data evidence-approach
- Able to build strong networks internally across departments to align on strategic & corporate priorities
- Act as a brand ambassador in China with new and existing customers, maintaining and growing external networks
- Identify and develop commercial opportunities, with the ability to develop and link strategic thinking and development with pragmatic delivery
- Look at ways to harness new technologies to drive marketing initiatives in the region including lead generation & digital marketing
- Lead the local marketing team in China with a clear vision regarding the go-to-market strategy, delivering clear guidance to ensure efficiency, consistency and synergy across communications.
- Provide strategic direction, inspiration, and mentorship to the marketing team in our China office
- Contribute to global Marketing strategy working closely with leaders based in APAC, India, UK and the US
- Management of the Marketing P&L in China taking full responsibility for effectively optimising spend/investment to drive growth & profitability
- Ability to develop a high-performance culture and level of talent across the marketing team, setting clear and measurable objectives & performance targets to plan, test, optimize and scale growth strategies across channels in China.
Skills & Experience:
- A strong and established background in leading a marketing team.
- International experience is essential for this position which operates in a matrix management organisation.
- Have a strong strategic and commercial mind-set with solid ability of finding market opportunities. Desirable would be Sharp commercial sense for knowledge business within the context of global academia
- Results focused, managing a team towards goals.
- Excellent communication skills, strong business English both verbally and written will be required.
- Able to manage and influence Senior Leaders across disciplines, to work with colleagues, partners and customers across boundaries and cultures.
- Resilient with the ability to overcome challenges through a solutions-oriented approach
- Significant experience and familiarity with the Chinese market along with proven success in driving new business growth and market penetration. Possessing the ability to navigate the path of working with state-owned and private organisations.
- Passion, drive and resilience – able to navigate complexity and ambiguity.
- Ability to interpret, extrapolate and communicate data from multiple sources.