Morgan Healey Retained Assignment
The European Society of Cardiology (ESC) is the world’s largest organization of healthcare professionals dedicated to fighting heart disease. It helps more than 90,000 cardiologists from 150 countries expand the boundaries of cardiovascular medicine so people can lead longer, healthier lives. The ESC publishes a dozen scientific journals, an array of textbooks and authoritative clinical practice guidelines in the cardiovascular field. It provides continuing medical education through webinars and classroom courses, and hosts the summit of cardiovascular science each August – ESC Congress – which attracts 31,000 heart specialists and delivers over 4,500 of the latest abstracts.
The ESC is looking for a talented Publications and resources Director to join its talented team. Reporting directly to the Chief Executive Officer, the Publications Director will be a member of the European Heart House Directors team.
The successful candidate will be employed on a permanent basis at the European Heart House located in the south of France near Nice, in the science park Sophia Antipolis.
The Publications Director will direct operations by:
- Overall coordination of the journals administration including the contact database
- Development of new products such handbooks and textbooks online and paper
- Relationship with the publishers and contract management
- Driving the publishing strategy across the combined sciences journal programme and ensuring its effective implementation, aligned with the ESC strategy
- Coordination of the production of ESC guidelines and position papers
- Manage resources and direct opportunities to target acquisitions and gaps in the market for new product development
The ideal candidate will have:
- PhD in Sciences or a higher University degree
- Proven record of success in senior level management in the industry
- At least five year’s senior level experience of management of people and resources
- A wide knowledge and understanding of the publishing industry
- A good understanding of the mutations this industry is going through, including technological, as well as the corresponding strategic implications
- An understanding of financial management and wider management principles and techniques
- Strong leadership skills
- Excellent communication (both verbal and written) in English. French would be an advantage.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills combined with excellent organizational skills
- Project management experience
- A good experience of key opinion leader’s management