Our client, a leading scientific publisher, requires a new Senior Desk editor to manage a team supporting the peer review process. The Senior Desk Editor is accountable for efficient peer review administration procedures using online peer review systems; using tools such as PubMed Central to research international experts suitable to act as peer reviewers for cutting edge biomedical research.
The Senior Desk Editor will manage a team of Desk Editors. With responsibility for the recruitment, performance management and training of their direct reports, the Senior Desk Editor controls resource allocation, ensuring effective team working and prioritisation to accommodate competing demands.
This post would suit someone with experience in monitoring team progress, performance management and team-building within a journals publishing environment. Familiarity with process improvement principles would be a distinct advantage as delivery of increased capacity with minimal impact on head count is a standing objective.
Skills & Experience:
- Overall responsibility for the peer review process to agreed speed and quality targets
- Managing the quality of peer reviewer selection including spot checks
- Effective handling of team administration, including maintenance of team workflows and process tracking, ensuring that optimal workflows are used
- Resource planning
- Managing, coaching and developing a team of Desk Editors, including team recruitment.
- Staying up to date with internal and external guidelines on ethical publication practices and ensuring the team also adhere to these standards
- Creating, maintaining and controlling process documentation
- Collaborating with stakeholders internally and externally and managing relationships with them
- Regular liaison with global editorial teams
- Developing a detailed knowledge of how systems and processes work to collaborate on problem solving, defect management and best practice • Creating reports for different audiences
Skills & Experience:
- A postgraduate qualification, PhD or equivalent, in biomedical sciences
- Knowledge of or experience in publishing and production processes
- A strong command of English spelling and grammar
- Experience of coaching, mentoring, and adapting to others’ learning styles
- Exceptional organization skills and confidence in completing multiple tasks to deadlines
- Excellent communication (oral and written) and interpersonal skills
- Commitment to excellent customer service
- Openness and ability to embrace change, and act as an agent for change management
- Demonstrated ability to make decisions and deliver results
- Belief in continuous improvement
- Ability to drive improvements based on data analysis and evidence-based learning
- Persuasion and influencing skills
- Fluent in Standard Chinese/ Mandarin