Location: London, UK
Salary: On application
Our client, a global academic publisher, requires two new Managing Editors with biomedical backgrounds to develop open access journals and build relationships with authors, editors and third party organisations.
- Work with internal and external stakeholders to ensure that journals publish high quality content consistently and in a timely manner.
- Build and maintain positive relationships across the business and with external partners, including journal editors and boards.
- Engage in peer review processes as required; ensure that all published content meets the required ethical and scientific standards.
- Responsible for final decisions on manuscripts.
- Undertake to maintain strong subject knowledge within allocated journal fields, including via national and international conference attendance when required
- Guide the editorial strategy of the allocated journals and supervise the work of more junior Managing Editors and Assistant Managing Editors.
- Responsible for developing the quality, profile, market share, budget and financial performance of journals within the assigned portfolios in line with Open Access team goals
- To drive profitability and ensure that their portfolio is aligned with corporate goals
- Lead project streams as required, including globally, and deliver consistently positive results.
Skills & Experience:
- A biomedical background to at least BSc level and ideally a higher degree (MSc, MPhil or PhD); a firm grasp of the principles of biomedical research, and of correct trial design and reporting standards
- Ideally, journals publishing experience in an editorial role
- Excellent relationship management and communication skills and confidence in working with internal and external stakeholders, including senior academics.
- Talent for establishing and maintaining mutually beneficial relationships with journal editors
- A proactive approach, good commercial awareness and a strong understanding of the open access journals publishing business and processes
- Excellent organisation skills and an ability to prioritise effectively
- The ability to travel to attend conferences, both in the UK and internationally