Our client, a leading society publisher, requires 3x Executive Editors to lead, set and implement the editorial strategy for a portfolio of journals.
The Executive Editor positions have a key strategic role within the department and is responsible for leading, setting and implementing the strategy for a portfolio and the individual journal strategies within it. The successful candidates will have a high level of external contact with the relevant research communities and will use this market information to develop strategic priorities.
- Setting, developing and implementing the portfolio and individual journal strategies and delivering KPIs in terms of usage, market share, quality, reputation and customer service.
- Developing the best authorship and readership for the journals, through networking, personal contact, commissioning, attendance at conferences, site visits and roadshows etc.
- Managing, leading and motivating a team of up to 5 direct reports, and a number of remunerated external Associate Editors and wider base of Associate Editors.
Skills & Experience:
- Significant experience in STM journal publishing, including commissioning; an excellent understanding of the peer review process, editorial policy and marketing.
- A good honours degree in science (chemical sciences normally preferred). Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Strong influencing and negotiating skills.
- Proven ability to lead and motivate a team.
- Good organisational and time-management skills are required together with the ability to work under pressure and to meet deadlines.
- Willingness to travel extensively nationally and internationally.
- Up-to-date knowledge of and passion for the chemical sciences.