Salary: Excellent, On application
Our client, a global journals publisher, requires a new Associate Vice President of Open Research who will lead the Open Access business unit. Working in collaboration with the Executive Vice President of Research and the Senior Management Group you create new value through managing and growing the Open Access program.
You will set the Open Access strategy, achieve annual revenue and profit targets for the Open Access program and lead staff to successfully deliver OA program objectives.
- Responsible for the overall performance of the Open Access program. This includes growing content, revenue and contribution at the program level, monitoring title-level results, adjusting strategy to achieve success, and positioning the program for repeated success in future years.
- Responsible for creating, developing, leading, implementing, monitoring and delivering the Open Access strategy
- Understand how Open Access is changing research publishing and adjust company strategy considering those changes.
- Recommend policy changes for both our gold Open Access program and transformative deals in light of industry changes. Stay current with cOAlition S, UKRI, OSTP and other government bodies making Open Access policies.
- Lead with a data-driven approach to the development and evolution of the Open Access business.
- Collaborate with the technology teams to drive changes in Open Access technology including both data and systems to hit targets to drive submission growth and reduce peer review times.
- Lead initiatives that blend process improvements and technology to improve Open Access performance.
- Publish quality research to protect and enhance the company’s reputation.
- Manage a team of in-house Editors making decisions on content
- Work with other departments that are key to Open Access’s success.
Skills & Experience:
- Vast experience in Open Access journal publishing
- Knowledge of academic publishing market trends and competitive journal market environments
- Knowledge of publishing trends and market conditions, especially Open Access research publishing
- An understanding of government and university policies regarding Open Access publishing
- Experience setting sales and costs budgets and managing budgets
- Vast experience in negotiating and influencing at a senior level
- Experience implementing and managing global processes
- Proven experience reporting into board level positions
- Ability to influence and build credibility at all levels and establish collaborative working relationships
- Proven ability to operate in a fast-paced, complex, decentralised and geographically diverse organisational structure
- Superior communication skills, oral and written
- Strong strategic and problem-solving skills
- Ability to travel internationally, as agreed