Our client, a leading Academic publisher requires a new Development Editor who will maximise the quality and sales potential of a list of key textbooks.
The Development Editor co-ordinates the writing, shaping and delivery of a set of textbooks and the digital resources that usually accompany them. The role involves working closely with internal colleagues to define clear development plans and with external authors and editors to make sure the content they produce is high quality, meets market needs and is delivered to deadlines and within budget.
- Works closely with the Commissioning Editor to create development objectives and plans to ensure the textbook and any digital ancillaries meet market needs and beat competitors.
- Communicates regularly with authors to share plans, agree schedules, check writing progress, provide feedback and to generally enthuse and steer them to deliver their manuscripts according to plan, contract word limits and deadlines.
- Carries out market research with lecturers and students to understand their needs, get feedback on draft material, generate comments for use in marketing and create awareness of the book in the market before publication.
- Feeds into Marketing and Sales activities by providing clear blurb copy, USPs, features, needs and benefits and by differentiating each book from other titles (our own and competitors’).
- Works with the Digital Content Manager, Production Editor and Designer to ensure that the book is designed and produced to be attractive and accessible to readers and that print and digital pedagogy are well-integrated.
- Supports the growth of development know-how within the wider editorial team by providing ad hoc advice to Editors and Assistants, sharing examples and running occasional training sessions.
Skills & Experience
- A confident and influential communicator both in person and in writing
- Well-organised with demonstrable experience of keeping complex projects on track
- A problem-solver, who is able to identify challenges on the horizon and come up with innovative solutions.
- A natural collaborator who actively seeks input from colleagues and shares information
- Good understanding of the textbook publishing process
- Experience of working in academic publishing is desirable.