Morgan Healey Retained Assignment
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Salary: Excellent + Relocation/Visa + Car
CSIRO Publishing is Australia’s leading science publisher of quality scientific, technical and health journals, books, and magazines. Since 1948 their publications have demonstrated the value of science and capturing and sharing knowledge for future generations.
As the Director, you will set the strategic direction, lead the team and manage resources to further develop and position CSIRO’s publishing offering to deliver impact in line with CSIRO strategy. You will foster engagement and commercial relationships, identify/develop new opportunities and inspire a professional, customer focussed team to unlock their full potential.
- Lead CSIRO Publishing – Australia’s foremost publisher of quality scientific, technical and health journals, books, and magazines!
- Set vision, strategy, and direction for CSIRO’s publishing offering at a pivotal moment in the history of scientific publishing
- Sustain and build our outstanding reputation for quality and integrity engaging and fostering relationships internally and externally
- Strategic leadership of the Publishing business – identify and set the strategic direction for the business with the responsibility to secure and manage resources to deliver on strategy whilst managing risks – strategically position CSIRO through the publishing offering and align publishing team activity with CSIRO strategy.
- Business and commercial leadership – Manage engagement and commercial relationships with the publishing sector, government, and industry. Manage the business – secure resources and efficient allocation of resources to deliver value. Identify and exploit opportunities of strategic significance, including the development of new business and negotiating complex deals for new and developing programs.
- Deliver on commitments through: leadership and development of a high-performing team which is professional, customer focused and aligned to strategy. Foster innovation in the team and a culture where staff can reach their full potential, undertaking coaching, mentoring and development, performance management and issues management. management of risk of operations including compliance with legal and statutory responsibilities.
- Build collaborative stakeholder networks -– engage with internal and external stakeholders to build and maintain extensive networks, position CSIRO’s publishing offering, secure support and resources to deliver impact.
- Contribute to CSIRO – as a member of CSIRO Science Connect Leadership Team, lead cross-functional task forces/policy bodies and committees to provide and gain a broader corporate perspective.
Skills & Experience:
- Deep knowledge and experience in the STM publishing industry with a proven record of success in senior-level management in the industry.
- Demonstrated ability to provide high-level strategic leadership, encompassing innovative strategic planning and implementation, business growth, risk management and effective resource management aligned to strategy.
- Demonstrated commercial skills, business acumen and experience with the management of a multi-million dollar budget including full P&L responsibility.
- At least five years of senior-level experience of management of people and resources with a strong record of leadership and management of high-performance teams.
- Broad familiarity with key technologies and standards used in digital information products and services, and the ability to exploit these for business growth.