Morgan Healey Retained Assignment
Salary: Six Figure Basic + Bonus
Our client, a leading STM publisher, requires a new Director of Business Development focussing on the USA.
We require a commercially minded individual with proven experience and success in business development across the academic/research publishing landscape. It's vital that you have experience in Open Research and exposure to funding organisations in the USA.
- Leading on business development in the research sector of the organisation; development of revenue lines through driving centralised agreements with HE institutions, funders and other research organisations.
- Achieving and exceeding annual targets, delivering revenue and supporting profit objectives for the Research business unit
- Designing a 3-year business plan for the Americas territory (US, Canada, and LATAM), ensuring that activity is both relevant and flexible to the evolving sector landscape over time
- Identifying and executing commercially strategic projects relating to quality improvement and the effectiveness of sales operations
- Reporting monthly to key stakeholders on sales progress and the business environment, enabling responsiveness to both the micro and macro trading conditions
- Actively liaising with other stakeholder departments or groups within the business to enhance coverage in partnership with the business unit
- Representing the business unit externally e.g. on working party groups or through networks, maintaining a presence and information gathering role on the scholarly environment
- Refining customer facing sales materials and to feedback market and customer insights
Skills & Experience:
- Significant experience working in a sales / business development environment, with an understanding of the role of business development and lead generation for long-term success
- Considerable knowledge of the Open Science/Research space; funding organisations, the academic publishing industry and the wider scholarly eco-system **This is essential if you want to apply**
- An existing network of senior contacts and established relationships with scholarly institutions and funders.
- Experience of taking a lead on commercial projects to deliver against objectives, including a focus on driving new business
- Familiarity with key business models and customer needs
- Excellent networking skills to keep internal stakeholders involved in all areas of planning, as well as building external relationships for a strong commercial pipeline
- The ability to influence, drive for results and establish a clear agenda for their function
- Resilience to pursue negotiations over an extended period with applicable committees and negotiating bodies
- Strong ability to communicate appropriately and with enthusiasm, both upstream and downstream within the organisation, and externally with key customers
- The ability to work independently and pro-actively, with awareness of when to make use of the wider infrastructure around them
- Target driven approach and the skills to manage and deliver on sales plans