Morgan Healey Exclusive
Our client, the research group of a global scientific publisher, requires a new Director of External Affairs & Policy.
In this new, crucial role, you will be responsible for developing and delivering strategies to influence policy among government agencies, funders, and policy makers, and for building an in-depth understanding of policy relating to researchers to inform company policy and process and to position the company as a key partner of influence with external stakeholders.
- Proactively lobby and network with relevant senior stakeholders e.g. government policymakers, institutions and research funding bodies across the UK, European and US markets in order to build and maintain an up to date knowledge and insight of issues and policy relating to the researcher industry
- Work closely with senior colleagues across the business to enable the development of commercial and strategic objectives for the business in response to planned or current public and/or political policy
- Liaise with relevant senior policy making stakeholders to position the company as a partner of influence and work closely with policymakers and institutions etc. to ensure the company has a voice in the development of future policy
- Represent the company on public, political lobby groups and industry platforms to become a recognised influencer
- Work closely with external and internal policy makers to support the diversity and inclusion agenda
- Lead and performance manage the Director of Policy and provide support in the development of policy and strategy for open access
- Work as part of the Senior Leadership team, providing input and support to research services strategy and shared projects
Skills & Experience:
- In-depth knowledge of policymaking process at government and Institution level
- Possession of/ability to build a senior network of policymakers and political stakeholders in UK, European and US markets.
- In-depth understanding of the Research market and of the current and potential future needs of the researcher customer
- Research Funder policies
- Experienced and confident public speaker
- Understands the process of government lobbying
- The publishing industry generally, and the broader market for research content
- Knowledge and understanding of the Diversity & Inclusion agenda
- Experienced leader