Our client, a leading society publisher, is seeking an Executive Editor to lead, set and implement the editorial strategy for the world’s largest Open Access journal dedicated to the chemical sciences. The Executive Editor will be responsible for continuing to grow and develop the journal following this successful transition to Open Access.
We are seeking a highly motivated publishing professional with strong strategic acumen and excellent communication and interpersonal skills. The successful candidate will have a high level of external contact with the relevant research communities and will use this market information to develop strategic priorities to ensure the journal meets these communities’ needs.
- Setting, developing and implementing the journal strategy and delivering KPIs in terms of usage, market share, quality, reputation and customer service.
- Developing the best authorship and readership for the journal, through networking, personal contact, commissioning, attendance at conferences, site visits and roadshows etc.
- Managing, leading and motivating a team of up to 5 direct reports, and wider base of Associate Editors.
Skills & Experience:
- Significant experience in STM journal publishing, including commissioning; an excellent understanding of the peer review process, editorial policy and marketing.
- A good degree in science (chemical sciences normally preferred).
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong influencing and negotiating skills.
- Proven ability to lead and motivate a team.
- Good organisational and time-management skills are required together with the ability to work under pressure and to meet deadlines.
- Willingness to travel extensively nationally and internationally. Up-to-date knowledge of and passion for the chemical sciences.