Morgan Healey Exclusive
Salary: £52,000 – £58,000 Basic
Our client, a leading society publisher, requires a new, highly motivated publishing professional with strong strategic acumen and excellent communication & interpersonal skills to lead their Inorganic journal team.
This is a senior-level role within the Journals department and has significant responsibilities. The incumbent will lead a team of 8 individuals (managing 4 direct reports) and will be responsible for leading, setting and implementing the strategy for the portfolio and the individual journal strategies within it. The successful candidate will have a high level of external contact with the relevant research communities and will use this market information to develop strategic priorities.
- Setting, developing and implementing the portfolio and individual journal strategies and delivering KPIs in terms of market share, quality, reputation and customer service.
- Developing the best authorship and readership for the journals, through networking, personal contact, commissioning, attendance at conferences, site visits and roadshows etc.
- Managing, leading and motivating a team, and a number of remunerated external Editors-in-Chief and Associate Editors.
- Building and managing relationships with relevant societies and divisions
Skills & Experience:
- Significant experience in STM journal publishing, including commissioning; an excellent understanding of the peer review process, editorial policy and marketing.
- A good honours degree in science (chemical sciences normally preferred).
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Strong influencing and negotiating skills.
- Enthusiasm for open access and open science
- Proven ability to lead and motivate a team.
- Good organisational and time-management skills are required together with the ability to work under pressure and to meet deadlines.
- Willingness to travel extensively nationally and internationally