Morgan Healey Exclusive
Location: New York / New Jersey – Hybrid
Salary: $100,000 – $110,000
Our client, a leading STM Publisher, requires a new Executive Editor, to pro-actively grow their proceedings business in Computer Science.
You will manage your own list of proceedings publications and in addition will identify commercially attractive opportunities for the expansion of the proceedings program, and help drive the acquisition of products in these growth areas.
- Manage a proceedings program linked to publishing partners of high strategic importance to the Books program (predominantly in Computer Science).
- Ensure that output goals and planned publication dates are met, and pro-actively manage the relationship with these publishing partners
- Initiate and coordinate market research activities to determine market size and growth opportunities that will increase the commercial success of the proceedings program
- Establish and lead a vertical working group across the Books Group to facilitate information exchange, to share market research outcomes, and to gather input from editorial stakeholders on proceedings-related topics including strategy and operational set-up
- Together with key stakeholders within Books group and working closely with the Open Access group, facilitate coming to a joint Open Access strategy for proceedings
- Coordinate quality measurement to demonstrate the attractiveness of the proceedings program internally (to the Editorial and Sales groups) as well as externally: towards the market (to attract new conferences).
- Determine and define ‘value add’ in proceedings publishing.
- Working closely with the Research Integrity Group, review and give input on ethics workflows, including plagiarism checking of proceedings papers etc.
Skills & Experience:
- Degree required, advanced degree a plus. (Preferably, in a STM field)
- 8+ years of academic publishing experience, ideally in proceedings publishing
- Proven ability to develop pragmatic, straight-forward solutions for complex issues
- Experience working with or for learned societies or academic conferences, and with building and maintaining partnerships with such organizations International business development experience and experience working with global teams
- Knowledge of the academic publishing industry, and the business drivers and recent developments in that industry, including Open Access
- Excellent communication and relationship-building skills, and the ability to easily connect with people, remotely and in person
- Outstanding commercial focus
- Growth mind-set and a positive, can-do mentality