Our client, a leading STM Publisher based in London, requires a Journal Development Manager for Physical Sciences & Engineering.
The successful candidate will be responsible for the management, strategic development and growth of both journals through content acquisition initiatives, as well as building and leveraging strong relationships with the Editorial Boards of leading academics.
They will be responsible for pro-actively managing the journals’ performance and must show strong strategic direction to devise and implement editorial strategies to increase market share and build strong recognition for their portfolio, while creating new opportunities to drive key performance indicators.
- Manage the Physical Sciences & Engineering portfolio and deliver ambitious targets and objectives.
- Drive journal growth and development through Editor engagement, article collections and section launches, informed by competitor and market analysis.
- Build strong relationships with high-profile scholars and pro-actively manage the Editorial Boards.
- Represent the company to external stakeholders and promote the portfolio at international conferences.
- Manage and lead two Journal Development Specialist(s) and supporting team members across multiple Editorial departments.
- Collaborate with internal departments to ensure efficiency and scalability of journal operations.
- Lead internal editorial projects and initiatives to bring further strategic value and growth opportunities for the company.
Skills & Experience:;
- At least 2 years of experience working in a scientific publishing house, and/or strong equivalent project management experience
- A degree or higher in portfolio-related subject area is essential with a keen interest in dissemination of research
- At least 1 year of management experience
- Initiative taking, dynamic and focused personality
- Flawless communication in written and spoken English
- Aptitude for digesting large amounts of information, and reacting effectively to urgent situations
- Ability to work independently, be highly organized and meet deadlines
- Sound and mature judgment
- Decisive and tactful when working with multiple stakeholders;
- Technical proficiency, with hands-on skills using current software (particularly MS Excel)
- A working knowledge of common social networks and social media platforms