Morgan Healey Exclusive
Location: London Hybrid
Salary: On application
Our client, a leading STM society publisher, requires a New Journal Sales and Development Lead who will work with colleagues, members and external partners to protect and grow journal sales revenue while ensuring the Society is at the forefront of open science initiatives. You will be responsible for managing journal sales activities and leading on transformative agreements, ensuring customers and stakeholders understand the Society’s position on open science and move towards open access publishing.
You will work with external stakeholders including sales agents, publishing representatives, consortium managers, institutional, corporate and government customers . Internally, the post-holder will work collaboratively with across the Society to manage the business as models change in the rapidly developing landscape of scientific publishing.
You will work with the Head of Development Opportunities and the New Business Opportunities Lead to identify new market opportunities to expand the international reach of the Society’s Publish and Read model and inform the strategy on models and pricing.
Skills & Experience:
- Demonstrable track record of successful sales or business development in the international scholarly subscription market, ideally in a membership charity or similar organisation.
- Ability to build relationships with key stakeholders and decision-makers in an academic setting and develop an advisor role in Open Access.
- A deep understanding of the current issues affecting scholarly publishing:
- An international outlook; expertise in emerging markets is advantageous.
- An awareness of the diverse and changing market of journal subscriptions, especially in the industry; direct experience in developing innovative pricing and licensing models is advantageous.
- An awareness of the needs of authors and end-users, and the appropriate strategies to build and maintain loyalty with these customers.
- An eye for branding and marketing to inform Open Access marketing strategies.
- Ability to look broadly across an organisation to identify new revenue opportunities.
- A collaborative approach to working across organisational functions to coordinate and engage colleagues to realise the Society’s ambitious objectives.
- A strong sense of initiative and drive for sustainable change.
- Demonstrable communication, presentation and negotiation skills.
- A strategic vision.