Our client, a Medical Publisher and digitally-focused producer of content for physicians worldwide, requires a new Managing Editor.
The company provide access to the latest academic research via an open-access platform and produce independent, peer-reviewed content through our industry-leading journals.
- To manage the commissioning, development and publication of three journals in both print and digital format, plus any new products where appropriate.
- To ensure content is published to the highest standards and in a timely manner, according to deadlines and to best practice.
- To commission and work with reviewers using the electronic submission system (Editorial Manager) to ensure blind-peer reviews are conducted in accordance with editorial best practice.
- To work with the Production Manager to support content delivery of the journals, including the creation of flat-plans, checking proofs and content for accuracy, design and lay-out in accordance with the company style guide.
- To brief and work with medical writing and design freelance suppliers, where appropriate.
- To determine and manage a schedule with authors and reviewers for all published content.
- To attend international congress meetings pertinent to the journals throughout the year. Regular international travel is therefore required.
Skills & Experience:
- Educated to degree level or equivalent, ideally in the fields of biology, health or life sciences.
- Journal publishing experience is essential, preferably in STM publishing (experience in cardiovascular or related therapy areas is particularly desirable, however all publishing experience will be considered).
- Excellent communication and organizational skills.
- Demonstrable understanding of editorial and production processes.
- Experience of electronic editorial management systems is desirable.
- Experience using the InDesign Creative Suite is desirable.