Morgan Healey Exclusive
Location: UK Home Based
Salary: £45,000 – £55,000 basic
Our client is a growing Open Access publisher that is launching a series of new open access journals over the next 12 months and needs an experienced Managing Editor.
You will create and manage the editorial vision, mission, processes and workflows for the new journals and lead an editorial team to execute their product vision. Your team’s work will delight authors, peer reviewers, and readers, and drive meaningful business impact.
- Work with our authors, Editors, peer reviewers, and other stakeholders to deliver workflows and processes that manage articles from submission to publication
- Source and oversee strategies to drive submissions
- Ensure the robustness and fairness of the journals’ peer review process. Develop, own and deliver the Editorial and Author guidelines, including style guides, copyediting style and editorial voice across the portfolio
- Ensure that published papers are reaching the right audiences
- Create an editorial process and procedure for launching new journals
- Develop workflows and processes to recruit scholarly editors and editorial leadership for established and new journals.
- Manage reporting on journal metrics, including turnaround times, editorial board performance, growth, and journal development plans
- Help drive our overall publishing strategy alongside the Chief Publishing Officer
- Interact with other internal publishing and product teams to help make the journals best-in-class
Skills & Requirements
- 4-5 years of experience in open access publishing including time working within an editorial team, managing scientific peer review and managing workflows, processes and teams
- Proven track record of managing editorial workflows and processes
- Extensive experience communicating professionally with scientists and academics Strategic, creative, and analytic – 50/50 left brain/right brain
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong organisational skills with attention to detail