Morgan Healey Retained Assignment
Location: Home Based, UK
Salary: On application
Our client, a global academic publisher, requires a new Open Access Commercial Director/Senior Manager. This is an exciting new role in an expanding team, leading the commercial side of the open access programme.
Taking a creative and strategic approach to identify revenue growth opportunities, the successful candidate will play a crucial role in delivering results against ambitious growth targets.
With a global remit and working alongside Sales and Marketing teams, the post-holder will plan and deliver open access revenue growth through a variety of initiatives.
The primary focus will be to expand our open access partnerships across multiple customer markets, including HE institutions, research centres and funders, driving centralised funding to support both Books and Journals OA revenue lines.
- Achieving and exceeding annual targets, delivering revenue and supporting profit objectives for the open access plan (across both hybrid & full OA journals and OA books)
- Designing the 1-3 year global business plan, ensuring that activity is both effective and flexible to the evolving sector landscape over time
- Growing existing partnership programmes within the HE sector and identifying growth opportunities in other markets, e.g. medical research funders and pharma.
- Reporting regularly to key stakeholders on sales progress and the business environment, enabling responsiveness to both the micro and macro trading conditions.
- Actively liaising with other stakeholder departments or groups within the business to align strategies, set budgets and ensure delivery of plan.
- Representing the business unit externally e.g. on working party groups or through networks, promoting the brand and furthering market intelligence
- Refining customer facing sales materials and feeding back market and customer insights to Product teams.
Skills & Experience:
- A commercially driven individual who can bring a vision to life and turn a Powerpoint strategy into results
- Experience of working in a senior level commercial/publishing role, with an understanding of business development and growing a global pipeline for long-term success
- In depth knowledge of the Open Science/Research space, the academic publishing industry and the wider scholarly eco-system.
- An existing network of senior contacts and established relationships with scholarly institutions and funders.
- Experience of taking a lead on commercial projects to deliver against objectives
- Familiarity with open access regional trends and how this influences customer needs
- Excellent networking skills to keep internal stakeholders involved in all areas of planning, as well as building external relationships for a strong commercial pipeline;
- The ability to influence, drive for results and establish a clear agenda for their function
- Strong ability to communicate appropriately and with enthusiasm, both upstream and downstream within the organisation, and externally with key customers
- The ability to work independently and pro-actively