Morgan Healey Retained Assignment
Location: UK (Home Based) or Canada
Salary: Six-Figure Package
Our client, a global, not-for-profit scientific publisher, requires a new Senior Director, Production and Technology.
Reporting to the CEO, this newly created role will be a key member of the senior management team responsible for the innovation and growth of the entire company.
You will enable the company to achieve ambitious goals for transformation and growth and realise our transition to open access through optimised processes and appropriate publishing technology. You should be well informed about the open access and open science debate in research publishing. A deep understanding of research journal publishing technology is essential to the role, as is an innovative problem-solving approach.
The VP should have a good understanding of research journals’ production processes, platforms, and vendors, and will ensure the timely and on-budget publishing of articles. You must also uphold the high ethical standards that are very important to the business. As a not-for-profit publisher, it is not driven by financial goals, but it is important that the VP has good financial awareness to seek cost-effective solutions and financially sustainable processes.
A critical part of this new role will be to Identify solutions and strengthen business operations and workflows. The VP will lead technology, project management, vendor management, digital publishing developments, XML production, website management, and peer review system management, and have oversight on user experience, discoverability and accessibility, process improvement, and workflows.
This is a very exciting opportunity for a creative publishing professional to join a company where they can make a difference in research publishing.
Skills & Experience:
- BSc/BA in a technology-related discipline; or equivalent extensive technology experience building and managing applications and infrastructure.
- 7-10 years of management experience at a senior level.
- Significant project management training and experience.
- Process-oriented, with experience in process design, development, and implementation.
- Knowledge of the technology landscape and software/ platform utilities.
- A track record of working in publishing technology and a deep understanding of the key technological developments in the research publishing industry.
- Deep knowledge of content management techniques, principles, and strategies
- An excellent understanding of and experience in Open Access and Open Science/ STM publishing.
- Critical thinker, with proven ability and strong results orientation to identify and act on opportunities and solve problems.
- Demonstrated ability to influence and mobilise cross-functional and offsite and virtual teams.
- Excellent communication skills at all organisational levels.
- Champion for change, calm and purposeful work style.