Salary: On application
Our client, a global academic publisher, requires a Senior Publishing Editor for a 12 month contract.
You will manage a portfolio of journals, using initiative and sound commercial judgement to develop its quality, profile, market share and financial performance in line with company strategy. You will maintain positive relationships with journal editorial boards and publishing partners, delivering high quality service and guidance.
- Actively manage journal editor performance, establishing and implementing best practice with regard to manuscript submission, peer review process, revision and resubmission policies, and optimal editorial board function.
- Undertake recruitment of new editors or replace editors where necessary.
- Monitor the financial performance of journals in the assigned portfolio, maximising revenues and controlling costs. Implement activities with other departments and external partners to ensure action taken where necessary to make improvements to financial performance.
- Provide information, advice and industry knowledge to journal editors and partner societies to help them improve the quality of content published in their journals.
- Successfully negotiate editor and society contract renewals, produce profit and loss statements, prepare draft contracts and lead contract approval process through to contract signature.
- Attend journal editorial board meetings and represent the company at conferences where appropriate.
- Liaise with other departments to ensure that the journals are produced, marketed and distributed in an appropriate way and within acceptable costs.
Skills & Experience:
- Experience in running academic journals, with a track record of profitable list development.
- Excellent understanding of the journal publication process and the wider scholarly communication landscape.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent relationship management skills.
- Project management skills. Ability to identify, advise and act appropriately on ethical or legal questions relating to publication, for example publication misconduct, libel, copyright.