Our client, a leader in computer and technical publishing, requires a new Books Acquisitions Editor based in the UK.
You will ideally have 1-3 years' experience in a similar role identifying important technical topics and finding high-quality authors and instructors to create books, videos, online courses, and other training materials.
- Identifying growing trends in technology.
- Recruiting authors and instructors to create online learning products and books.
- Mentoring potential authors in the preparation of proposals and plans.
- Negotiation of contract terms, royalties and advance payments.
- Day-to-day contact with other members of the team including content editors, marketing, and production.
- Active participation in launch and marketing.
- Managing issues concerning authors, content, and schedule.
- Writing promotional copy.
Skills & Experience:
- Ability to judge market of technology topics with a proven track record.
- Experience developing successful online courses is a strong advantage.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of personalities in a diverse community. The clients Acquisitions Editor's must possess the ability to be charming one moment and demanding the next. Conflict resolution and/or mediation skills are a valuable asset.
- Strong facilitator, especially in the arts of negotiation and persuasion.
- Ability to negotiate and manage contractual arrangements.
- Excellent organisational skills, attention to detail and the ability to prioritise challenging workloads with moderate supervision.
- Knowledge of publishing processes, procedures, and techniques.
- Knowledge of peer review principles and procedures.
- Outstanding writing, language, and grammar skills.