Our client, a global academic publisher, requires a new Head of Transformation, Product Innovation to oversee the company's "Tech Lab" a division that is responsible for exploring new ways to use technology and tech methodologies to create product opportunities, gain business insight and drive efficiencies across the business in a nimble way.
- Run the Tech Lab to give a forward facing capability to explore and introduce new technologies to support new product innovation, workplace automation and improve tech fluency in Editorial & PI
- Champion the roll out of Lean across UK Editorial, supporting the training, embedding and process mapping work to surface opportunities for workplace automation. Support editorial teams with workplace automation through light-weight applications that improve flow and automate work, with a view to pass over applications that need to scale and require long term support to IT.
- Working with the journals business and your data scientist, deliver projects that use data to extract meaning and turn that information into knowledge. The purpose is to analyse trends, correlations and anamolies across the data in order to support key business decscions around the journal and product portfolios, and to identify opportunities where machine learning and data science techniques can add value to the business.
- Chart and explore emerging technologies and industry start-up landscape that might impact and offer opportunities.
Skill & Experience:
- At least five years experience of leading product or software engineering teams
- A deep understanding of web platforms, from databases to the front end
- A good understanding of best practice in software and product development principles
- Proven ability to quickly understand new technologies
- An ability to create, or direct the creation of, proof of concept technical prototypes
- Hiring experience
- Experience working in academic publishing
- Ability to thrive in a collaborative environment, building strong relationships and motivating and inspiring a team
- Strong written and verbal communication skills – influencing by persuasion and influence rather than authority
- Commercial business sense
- Accountability and integrity
- Pro-active problem solving through insight and judgement
- Ability to prioritise and focus to drive successful delivery
- Technical fluency and experience of user-centered design practice
- Excellent time management and efficient execution of tasks